A few weeks back, I installed a windscreen on my NT650. I actually have had the windscreen for some time now, having ordered it just before the rally I attended back in June fully intending on using it for that rally, but I didn’t actually take delivery of it until the day after I got back from it. Go figure.
It’s basically one of those no-name brand products you can find in eBay, meant to work with a number of naked motorcycles with a single, round headlight. As with a lot of thing no-name brand parts found on eBay, it’s always a gamble when shelling out the money for them, as you don’t really know about their fitment and/or ease of installing until your money’s gone, and the part is on your lap. But whatever, the price was cheap enough for me to give it a shot, so I did.
When I first mocked it up on the bike, just to get an idea of how it would mount, I already knew it wouldn’t be a perfect fit, as evidenced by the photo above (note the gap between the headlight and windscreen). So since June, I’ve basically just stashed in my parts shelf, thinking maybe someday I’ll get around to actually mounting it. Maybe not.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, probably on a day when I found myself with a good amount of time on my hands but not a clue what to do, I dusted this windscreen off my parts shelf, and decided to give it a try. I remembered that to actually mount it on my NT650 only required it to be bolted on in two spots, so it wasn’t going to be too much of a hassle even if I ended up hating after all.
Apart from the windscreen itself, two aluminum brackets also came with it (seen in the photo below), which effectively bolts the windscreen onto the bike. Bolts and nuts were provided, as well as rubber grommets to be used in conjunction with the bolts for vibration damping. A nice touch, if you ask me. However, upon consideration, I actually didn’t think the bolts and nuts provided would be sufficient to securely mount the windscreen on the bike. I ended up heading to my local hardware store and spent a good half hour in their Nuts & Bolts section to find the proper fasteners I needed; a small price to pay for a bit more security.
I think it actually adds a very nice, but subtle profile to the front…
With the proper fasteners in use, installation took only a few minutes. But then I wondered just how secure the whole thing could be not only against the bike’s V-twin pulses, but in dealing with the crosswind during regular use.
Fortunately, it’s held up just fine in my daily use to and from work since installing it, remaining securely bolted to the bike. While I can’t quantify just how much it cuts down the wind-blast to my body (it’s not that big, after all), I know for certain it offers some wind protection; even a small increase in surface area is bound to have an effect.
…and the rest of the bike overall!
But whether or not I can discern any comfort it may provide, my primary reason in giving it a try was for aesthetic purposes. I just really wanted to give my little-NT650-that-can a bit more "presence."
I think I did just that, and for the $35 or so that I spent, not bad. Not bad at all.