Interlude: Back in my high school days, I was very much intoillustration art. When high school only required two years of art classes, I made sure I had one for all four years. I dabbled into sculpting and other types of visual arts, but drawing and painting were my main forte. It was mainly during this time in my life when I learned the value of negative space and leaving things alone, so to speak; in art, holding off on any further brush strokes can serve to highlight an area of your work, if not the whole work itself. Reservation and discipline then became useful tools towards your art form.
I had cleaned the fuel petcock pictured above, with the intention of painting it. But then I mocked it up on the fuel tank, saw it with the rest of the bike so far, and it made me realize that I should leave it alone.
Again, while the intention at the start of the project was to paint the WHOLE bike, I've come to realize that if I did, the whole bike would become a caricature of a motorcycle. And while caricatures are a form of art, it isn't the kind of finish I am wanting for this project.
The carburetor assembly, before being soaked in diluted Simple Green…
…And after. Some passes with the wire brush as well…
…Before fitting to the engine.
I think that leaving some bits on the bike in their natural finish (after some cleaning), serves to add a touch of realism to this art project. It’s continuing the trend of contrast that I started between the dual paint colors, but this time against the whole of the motorcycle as a polished and repainted unit.
Just because it's not a running motorcycle doesn't mean it shouldn't look like one.
Headlight bucket, with the brackets painted black in the background.
So keeping some of the components as they are without repainting them, as well as leaving the nuts and bolts throughout alone, keeps some semblance of a real motorcycle. So for the pair of rear shocks, I just cleaned the shafts and painted the springs flat black. I painted the cotters in copper for a bit of detail to be spotted once everything's put back together.
Then, I painted the triples black, even though I initially thought to leave it alone in its polished finish. I thought this would be a good way to break up the polished fork legs and clip-ons once those are fitted to the rest of the bike.
Next to tackle would the pair of forks and wheels. I plan on taking the forks to my friend Rob’s shop to use his tools in dismantling the fork legs to be able to thoroughly clean out any fork oil.
We’re getting really close for this project to stand on its own legs.