While I waited for the paint on the engine cases to be dry enough for me to put them back together, I used the time to paint the fuel tank and seat pan. So far, these, the chassis, and the engine cases are the major components to make up the foundation of this art project, so I wanted to be able to mock all of them up once painted, to see if I was executing what I envisioned just right. Or wrong.
The original plan for the fuel tank and seat pan was to be polished in finish, which I’ve abandoned in favor of spray-painting with chrome, yet another contrast to the copper chassis.
The fuel cap (not pictured), in further contrast, will be painted in copper.
Chrome isn’t as forgiving as the textured copper finish in hiding any surface imperfections, only exacerbated by some sloppy spraying from me. But that’s ok – I can live with it. I wanted a clean, refinished motorcycle art, not a cherry specimen. The imperfections add character, methinks!
So like the engine cases, I had to let these dry and cure under the sun for a good amount of time until I can put them back on the chassis.
A full day later though, when enough time had lapsed to at least be able to handle the paint and put everything back together, that’s exactly what I did.
The engine cases turned out A LOT better than I anticipated, affording me a huge sigh of relief. The chassis and bodywork, while not too shabby as a combination, left me slightly questioning. The engine turning out so well only made me even more critical of how the chassis and bodywork color combination came out.
At this time, it would do well to still let everything cure under the sun to harden the paint. This should give me the chance to mull over whether I should stick with the chassis and bodywork as they are, or not.