I took a break from paintingthe chassis, and I decided to start breaking down the engine to remove all the internals.
The other purpose of this bike and this project is for me to finally get my hands really dirty and really get into an engine. With all the bikes I've ever owned and maintained, I've never pulled an engine out, much less open one up and dismantle, which is something that I've always wanted to do.
Cylinder head cover off, for a closer look at the valves, springs, and camshaft.
Looking at diagrams and all are fine (sites like BikeBandit.com and RonAyers.com are great for online microfiches), but there's no substitute for looking at the real deal. I've always been intimidated by the inner-workings of a motorcycle engine; so many moving components in varying sizes and all working in synchrony. I’ve been reluctant to tackle an engine breakdown because I didn't want to be fiddling with something, and create a domino effect of problems.
Which is why this project's perfect in pacifying that intimidation; I don't have to worry about what I break since they're all coming out anyway!
Clutch-side engine cover off, giving a closer look at the clutch basket as driven by the crank, which then drives the transmission. Balancer to the far right, and peeking in the background is the piston after removing the cylinder.
I managed to at least get the cylinder head out, before I got stuck on trying to remove the clutch basket nut since I don't have an impact wrench, and couldn't successfully keep the clutch basket from rotating as I tried to wrench the nut out. I ended up calling my friend and master mechanic Rob for tips on how to make do without an impact wrench, and I'll probably YouTube some videos for possible improvised tools.
Dealing with intricate things like these would intimidate me, as a small mistake could yield a big repair bill. No such worries this time around!
Seriously, just to finally be able to tear down a real motorcycle engine, this purchase was easily one of the best $100 I spent. I'm looking at some of these engine parts and thinking of how I can re-purpose them for decor in my garage or on my desk at work!
As much as I’m having fun tearing into the engine down though, I have to put everything on hold again to prepare for a trackday weekend at Thunderhill Raceway with Z2 Trackdays; Thunderhill has expanded the track to include a West side, which if run in conjunction with the old layout, yields around five miles of racetrack bliss. I’m going to need to focus in not only learning a new layout, but also having the endurance to last the longer laps.
After this Thunderhill weekend though, my weekends should more free to allow me put more time and focus into this art project, which will be good as I’m hoping to have this done and parked in our living room before mid-October, when my son is due to be born.