The day dawned bright and early. The parts had all been acquired the night before, so after getting set up for another long day, work commenced.
First on the list was installing the new throttle cable. Since the bike was already tore down, this wasn’t terribly difficult. A few adjustments later and both ends were on and the cables were operating properly. Smooth with a quick return, it was working perfectly. After it was all working properly I began reassembly. Other than the air box (which was difficult to remove and replace), it went a bit quicker than disassembly since I was now more familiar with the components of this particular machine.
Next on the list was to complete assembly of the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. Having done this way too many times in the past, it was a fairly painless process. Soon the air was out of the lines and the brakes were operating properly with good feel. I was able to make use of my “new” brake bleeder kit, although I mostly just ended up using the hoses and reservoir.
Finally, I adjusted everything down, checked, checked fluid levels and prepared for a test start and run. I reconnected the battery, turned it on and upon the power up sequence pressed the starter. The bike cranked. And cranked. And cranked. I recalled that one of the fuel lines off of the tank had looked like it could easily kink if it settled in wrong, so I lifted the tank, adjusted that line to a better position and tried again. Success! No leaks were revealed and everything was purring like it should.
I threw on my helmet and headed down the street for my first test ride. I came back with a list of things to adjust – positions of clip ons, positions of the shift and rear brake levers and a minor adjustment to the hand controls. Going through all of that took a good 30 minutes and I hopped on for test ride #2. This one didn’t take long as I realized I couldn’t shift out of first gear. Back to the work area, and more adjustments to the shift linkage and rearset. Back out for test ride #3. Things felt pretty good other than the rear brake being weaker than I would have liked. So, after putting the bike back on the stands, started bleeding that brake to find that the fluid in there was old. Replaced the fluid, re-bled the lines and took the bike out for test ride #4.
Everything seemed to be in good “rolling up and down the street” shape. Came back and began the process of cleaning up my work area and giving the bike a wipe down while the fairings were off. My fairings would be ready to fit to the bike later in the coming week, so I buttoned everything up as best I could and called it a day. Eight hours later my bike was back together and passed its test ride!
We were finally ready to go to our upcoming trackday where I could really determine the setup changes I would like to make and the bike and I could reacquaint ourselves.