With the majority of my parts tracked down, the next step was to begin repairs. I had a free weekend coming up, with no plans and nothing to disturb the opportunity to settle into all day repairs. Since this was going to be a long-ish project, I set up a table, spread out my tools, and brought out everything I might need as I worked. New and replacement parts joined the ever growing pile, so there was nothing left but to roll the bike out and set to it.
First on the order of business were the clip-ons. Removing the OEM clip-ins wasn’t too difficult as I had done that once already at the track, so I pulled those and fitted the upper yoke back on. The replacements I picked up were a set of Apex clip-ons that provided more adjustability and leverage. I got them set up in the general area where I wanted them and began fitting the controls to them, including my new master cylinder. As is typical of many motorcycle repairs, there’s always a hitch. The stock reservoir had mounted to the OEM clip ons. The Apex did not have that option, so there was some creative mounting that ensued. Eventually I was successful and the electrical controls were on and the master cylinder mounted.
From there I moved on to the engine case covers, wanting to be sure that everything fit well and there were no leaks. Both of the covers were actually fairly simple to replace with no strange findings as I fit on the new ones. The Woodcraft cover came with a new gasket, and someone on my forum was unloading a new clutch cover gasket for a very reasonable price…soon enough both new covers were fitted to the bike without drama.
The final order of business was to fit the replacement throttle tube to the new clip-ons and get everything adjusted. Since I wanted matching grips I had to remove the one already on the throttle tube and do a slight modification to get the aftermarket ones on. After some work they were on, and I began to attach the throttle cable. That’s when my day came crashing down. One of the hard plastic guides on the cable had actually broken. I had missed that when I pulled it off. This was likely to cause the cable to bind, so a replacement was needed.
There was a silver lining – my local dealer just happened to have one in stock. A friend was kind enough to pick it up for me and I could get it that evening leaving the following day to finish installation. Now, however, my repair work was going to end up going a lot deeper than originally expected. I would now be forced to dig down into the engine. I decided to start the tear down immediately. Since this was my first time diving this deep on this particular bike, there was a little bit of a learning curve as I worked my way through the bike. Eventually I was down to the throttle bodies and managed to remove them.
I had also discovered that the new master cylinder was going to require a different banjo bolt than the one the OEM had used. Thankfully the same friend just happened to have one laying around and I would be able to pick that up along with my throttle cable.
There was no more I could do that day until my parts were in hand, so I packed the bike in for the night as it was, more torn apart than it had been at the start of the day.