If you read my blog yesterday, you know about my bad luck with my Harley Sportster, and how it died on me after just 40 or 50k miles thanks to a manufacturing defect. Now, I’m searching for a new cruiser.
Here’s what I’ve figured out so far:
- I don’t need a sport bike. I’m keeping my Suzuki GSX1100G. It’s a fun, fast bike. What I need now is something more suitable for long distance riding.
- I love Harley Davidson motorcycles, and I think nothing is cooler than a great-looking Harley.
- That said, I’m pissed off about my last Harley. A new motorcycle should not fall apart after 40,000 miles.
- I liked that I could wrench on my own Harley with relative ease. My Suzuki, by comparison, is so complicated that doing something as pedestrian as a carb cleaning is a serious undertaking.
- I love the Triumph Bonneville line (especially the Thruxton) but I find them really uncomfortable. I just can’t see myself riding 500 miles in one day on one of these.
- The Triumph America and Speed Triple feel great, but they are definitely underpowered. An underpowered bike is a bike I’ll be looking to exchange in a matter of months (or weeks or days, even).
- The Triumph Thunderbird (and new Thunderbird Storm) look great. Plenty of power, great looks, and they are not Harley wanna-be’s. They seem awfully big and clumsy, though. I’ll need to get out and test ride one to know for sure.
- I love the look of the new Moto Guzzi California. This is another one I’ll need to test ride.
So where we stand today, I think I am between the Moto Guzzi California, the Triumph Thunderbird Storm, and the one of Harley-Davidson Dyna models. Maybe I should go with a used bike, and save the freight and set-up fees? Hmmmm. This decision could take awhile.
Any thought? Let me know your favorite bikes, what you like, what you hate, what you ride.